- CDBG- $20,000 per job up to $2.5 million per project. Must go towards drainage, water & sewer improvements, roads, bridges, rail spurs, or buildings.
- Rural Impact Grant Fund- maximum of $150,000 per project. Must go towards improvements of: building, land, utilities, drainage, or transportation facilities.
- Development Infrastructure Grant- maxium of $150,000 per project. Must go towards improvements of: building, land, utilities, drainage, or transportation facilities.
- Payroll Rebate- 4% of payroll rebated back to company for 10 years. Company must pay at least 110% of the average county wage.
Customized Training Cash
Customized workforce training is designed to meet a specific business need. It includes curriculum and material development as well as instruction. Funding is available through project agreements with the Community Colleges for Workforce Enhancement Training Fund administered by the Mississippi Community College Board. Appropriate financial documentation is required.
- Industry-Based Training – A business may be reimbursed for up to $35 per hour of training conducted by the industry for the industry when the college does not provide the training.
- Vendor Training – A business may be reimbursed for on-site vendor training costs at one-half of the daily cost, not to exceed $500 per day, with a 10-day limit per training area. Off-site vendor train-the-trainer costs may be reimbursed at a maximum of $500 per person for training registration. Such reimbursement may apply to no more than two (2) individuals to attend the same training area. Travel costs comply with project rules and limits. A business may be reimbursed for up to $20,000 per fiscal year for allowable, approved travel costs.
- Train-the-Trainer – A business may be reimbursed for limited travel costs associated with training employees in a discipline not currently available through the local community college. Such reimbursement may apply to no more than two (2) individuals to attend the same training in a non-production area and no more than four (4) individuals per production training area. Travel costs comply with project rules and limits. A business may be reimbursed from $10,000 to $15,000 per fiscal year for allowable, approved costs for domestic and international travel, respectively.
On-The-Job Training Cash
Mississippi’s Workforce Investment Network (WIN) Job Centers can help offset training costs for new employees through the WIN On-the-Job Training (OJT) activity. Businesses may be reimbursed for up to half of a new employee’s wages while the employee learns the job, on the job.
OJT Participant Criteria
New employees covered by an OJT agreement must be unemployed or underemployed as determined by the WIN Job Center.
- Reimbursement depends on the wages paid to new employees and the length of training.
- The length of training is negotiated based on the skills necessary to perform the job(s) and the new employees’ existing skills.
- Limited to no more than 50% of the total workforce or new hires.
- The maximum length of training is limited to no more than six months or 1040 hours.
- Businesses that relocate and lay off workers at another location may not receive an OJT for 120 days after relocating.
- Other OJT rules and record keeping requirements can be obtained from the WIN Job Center.
The community college and/or WIN Job Center will work with the company to develop and negotiate a training and service plan and funding agreement.
Tax Abatements & Credits
- Rural Economic Development Income Tax Credit- credit equal to the debt service on qualified industrial revenue bonds can be used to offset 80% of the state corporate tax liability for the life of the bond.
- Jobs Tax Credit- A credit of 5% of payroll per job used to offset up to 50% of a business's state income tax liability, unused credits may be carried forward for five years. Note, the company may takes this as a job training option in which $1,500 per job will be used to pay costs incurred in training employees.
- Industrial Property Tax Exemption- 10 year property tax exemption on local taxes except school taxes.
- Free Port Warehouse Property Tax Exemption- Full exemption from property taxes on personal property that is being held and stored prior to transport outside of Mississippi.
- Skills Income Tax Credit- tax credit of up to $2,500 per employee for training expenses
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption- sales and use tax exemption for new or expanding facilities.
- Click here for loan programs: